Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Regent Street Star Remix

Hello!  I'm back today to share another free tutorial with you!  Actually, I'm sharing how to modify another free tutorial.  If you've seen the Regent Street Star quilt by Kristina Brinkerhoff of Center Street Quilts, you know how amazing it is!  If you haven't, you should definitely check it out on the Moda Bake Shop

I love how quickly and easily her pattern goes together and of course I love star blocks!  When I won a fat quarter bundle of Bonnie and Camille's new collection, Smitten, I decided to resize the block so that I could make a larger quilt with multiple, smaller blocks.  That would allow me to use more of the prints from the bundle and include more colors.  I came up with a 24-inch block.  Nine blocks with sashing would give me an 80"x80" quilt. 

My quilt top is not completed yet, but below is a digital version.  I'm calling it the Regent Street Star Remix!  Kristina graciously gave me the green light to share my modifications with you, so keep reading if you want to make my version!




To make this quilt, you will need the following:

- 18 fat quarters
- 3.5 yards of background for the stars and sashing
- 3/4 yard for binding
- 5 yards for backing

Each fat quarter will give you two block quadrants.  From each fat quarter, cut the following:

- two 3.5" squares
- two 4" squares
- two 6.5" squares
- two 7" squares

You will want to make sure you cut carefully to get all the pieces. To cut mine, I first cut an 8" wide strip, and then cut it as shown below.  Make sure that you are cutting perpendicular to the selvage edge so that your strip is approximately 21" long.


Then I cut a 7" wide strip, and cut it as shown below:

 
Depending on how wide your fat quarter is, you may be able to get a 2.5" strip from each that can be used for a scrappy binding, if you wish.  Otherwise, cut 9 strips 2.5" wide from your binding fabric.


From the background fabric, cut the following:

- 6 strips, 7" wide; subcut each strip into 7" squares (6 per strip) until you have 36 squares.
- 4 strips, 4" wide; subcut each strip into 4" squares (10 per strip) until you have 36 squares.
- 3 strips, 3.5" wide; subcut each into 3.5" squares (12 per strip) until you have 36 squares.
- 1 strip, 24.5" wide; subcut into 2.5"x 24.5" rectangles until you have 12 rectangles.  These will be used for the sashing between the blocks.  You could cut 12 strips that are 2.5" wide instead and then cut those down to size, but I don't like crossing the fold if I can avoid it.  You'll also use more fabric that way.
- 8 strips, 2.5" wide; these will be used for the border.

I plan to use four 2.5" inch squares from scraps of black crossweave for the cornerstones.  You could also cut four print squares from the fat quarter scraps, or use white squares for a simpler, cleaner look.
 
To piece the blocks, you will need to follow the tutorial on the Moda Bake Shop.  So that there is no confusion on which pieces are used for which step, I have listed the size comparisons below.

- the 7" squares replace the 17" squares
- the 6.5" squares replace the 16.5" squares
- the 4" squares replace the 9" squares
- the 3.5" squares replace the 8.5" squares

I used a single print to make each block quadrant, but you could make yours scrappy like the original.  The only other change I made when piecing was that I pieced mine in quadrants instead of putting together the centers of the blocks first.  I wanted more flexibility in determining final layout before I committed to which prints and colors went in each block.  Below is a picture of four quadrants that will eventually become one block.  I think Kristina's directions are clear enough that you'll be able to figure out how to make this adjustment, if desired. 


Once your blocks are finished, use your favorite method for adding sashing and cornerstones between each block.  The sashing is only used for the interior of the quilt top.  For the outside edges of the quilt, sew the 8 remaining background strips together.  Measure two opposite sides of your quilt, cut to size, and attach.  Repeat for the remaining two sides. 

That's it!  I hope you enjoy making these blocks as much as I am! 

Until next time,
Amanda






1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your tutorial, and it's so brilliant!!! This is definitely the next quit I'm making. Thank you so much for sharing your modifications with us.
    Greetings from Germany, Kat

    ReplyDelete