Friday, March 30, 2018

New Pattern - Wanderlust

Happy Friday!  I am so excited to share my newest pattern with you today!  I'm calling this one Wanderlust. 




A fun feature of this pattern is that you get two quilts for the price of one!  The pattern includes instructions for two versions of this quilt.  The second version is basically the opposite of the first version.  I'm not sure which one I love more!   


Depending on which version you make, you either need a jelly roll or fat quarters.  The blocks go together very quickly with strip-piecing.  And the blocks are large, so you only need 25 of them to get an 80"x80" quilt. 

So, how did this quilt come about?  I was thinking about the Scrappy Trip quilt one night.  If you haven't heard of this quilt, I believe the original was by Bonnie of Quiltville and a popular jelly roll version was made by Allison of Woodberry Way.  I was thinking that it would be neat if each block could "go around the world" and make a circle, but still keep the scrappy look and strip-piecing methods of the originals.  I actually did come up with a method that worked, and I even have a pattern drafted.  But once I made a couple of test blocks, I wasn't really feeling it.  It seemed a little too busy to me. 

Then I started thinking, why not have each block have a single ring and keep the rest of the block the same?  This was all happening during the Winter Olympics, so the Olympic rings may have provided some inspiration too! 


I made these quilts using Kate Spain's batik lines called Longitude and Latitude.  I love the rich, gorgeous colors in each of these lines. A scrappy trip-inspired quilt using Longitude and Latitude batiks... of course I had to give it a traveling-inspired name!  Wanderlust seemed to fit the bill!


Now, I know you really only came here for the pictures, so I'll stop talking and just share some more photos for your viewing pleasure!




Quilting pantograh is called Breath of the Gods.

The quilt passed the sniff test by my quilt inspectors!

The pattern is available in my Etsy shop.  I hope you like it!  If you make this quilt, and you are on Instagram, I'd love to see it!  Tag me or use the hashtags #piecedjustsew and #wanderlustquilt

Happy sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment