Thursday, October 7, 2021

Stay Square Quilt in Ruby Star Society's Stay Gold

My latest pattern Stay Square is now available in my shop!  I'm so excited to finally share this quilt with you!  

 

 

I’ve had this quilt finished for a bit but delayed putting the finishing touches on the pattern so that I could get my Log Jam jelly roll pattern released during National Sew a Jelly Roll Day last month.

But September is over now and what better way to start off a new month than with a brand new pattern!  

 

 

 

Stay Square is a layer cake friendly quilt.  It uses 36 layer cake squares so it uses most of one layer cake, but still allows you to leave out a few prints that you either don’t care for or that do not contrast well with your background fabric.  This pattern also uses almost the entire layer cake square with just a bit of waste that you can easily add to your scrap bin and save for a future scrappy project!

 

 

 

If you don’t have a layer cake handy or want to use a fabric collection that is not available as precuts, you can also use fat quarters.  You’ll need a minimum of 12 fat quarters to make this quilt, but you can always use more if you want to have more variety in your quilt.  Grab your favorite bundle or curate your own from your stash!

 

 

 

This quilt is a generous throw size and finishes about 74”x74” square.  The accountant in me really likes square quilts.  Everything is in balance!

 

 

I love the crisp, clean lines of this quilt.  It really gives it a sophisticated, modern look.  The black accent is just the icing on the cake!  The layer cake, that is!  (ha, sorry!)

 

 

 

This quilt is great for a confident beginner.  It is all straight sewing.  All the seams nest.  All the ingredients for a fast, easy to piece project!  

 


 

This quilt was such a fun make!  I knew this quilt would be a quick sew, but it went together even faster than I expected!  This would be a great option if you need a large throw quilt quickly!

 

 

 

I used a Ruby Star Society fabric collection called Stay Gold by Melody Miller.  I don’t think this fabric has completely arrived in shops yet.  Precuts may have arrived, but I think the yardage is still delayed. 

It will be worth the wait though!  The colors are so rich and vibrant!  There are large florals, small florals, butterflies, and blenders in just about every color of the rainbow.  

 

 

 

I was able to get an early release layer cake for making my sample.  The accent is a black Moda Bella solid.  Since I couldn't get yardage of Stay Gold, I stuck with the black solid for the binding.  For the backing, I chose a Ruby Star Society basic, Speckled Metallic in White Gold.

 

  


 

I quilted this quilt on my longarm using a design board set called Diagonal Plaid.  The design boards help me to get perfect straight lines which are important for this design.  It may not seem like it, but straight line are harder to do well freehand on a longarm than you might think!

 

 

If I’ve convinced you that you need to make your own Stay Square quilt, you can head to my Etsy shop and check out the pattern by clicking here.

 


 

I hope you enjoy making this quilt as much as I did.  Let me know what you think in the comments below!  If you make this quilt and share it on social media, be sure to tag me and use the hashtag #staysquarequilt so I can see it!  You can find me on Instagram or Facebook.

 

Until next time,

Amanda

 















No comments:

Post a Comment