Monday, August 10, 2020

New Pattern - Honey Squares

Hello!  It's pattern release day around here!  My newest pattern, Honey Squares is now available in my Etsy shop

 I designed this pattern to use honey buns (1.5" strips), hence the name.  However, honey buns can be hard to find (Moda even discontinued them years ago before bringing them back recently). That's why all of my honey bun patterns contain alternate fabric requirements and cutting instructions so that you can still make the pattern even if you do not have honey buns.  Honey Squares can be made with fat quarters. 

Normally, I would have made my sample quilt with honey buns.  I actually have another sample started that uses honey buns.  My plans changed when I impulsively bought a bundle of the new Then Came June Basics from Robert Kaufman.  I don't tend to gravitate towards a palette like that, so I don't know what made me buy the bundle.  I didn't even have a plan for it.  

 
When I was determining the alternate requirements for Honey Squares, I realized that this bundle would work perfectly!  I mocked up the quilt in EQ8, and liked it so much that I made this version the cover quilt and started cutting up my fat quarter bundle.  

So that I could use as many fat quarters from the bundle as possible, I also added alternate fabric requirements for the accent (the smaller square rings in the block centers).  The original plan was to use a single fabric, which would have required buying yardage.  I added instructions to use fat quarters instead and used six of the black and gray prints from the bundle.  I think the extra variety adds a lot of visual interest!

There are a lot of textures in this quilt which is really fun!  There are even a couple of fabrics that are sparkly!

One of the fabrics in the bundle that did not make it into the quilt top was a black and white gingham.  I found some yardage online and used it as the backing.  It is super soft and because the print was part of the bundle, it coordinates perfectly!  The binding is the gray and white stripe that also appears in the quilt top.

I could go on, but I'm sure you're here for the photos and not my rambling, so I'll shut up now and let you enjoy the eye candy!







If you want to make your own Honey Squares quilt, you can find the pattern here.  I hope you have as much fun making this quilt as I did!


Until next time,

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment