Friday, August 14, 2020

Friday Fabric Refresh - Honey Squares

Happy Friday!  I released a new pattern this week called Honey Squares.  If you missed my blog post about this quilt, you can check that out here.  It will be the perfect quilt to feature for this week's addition to my Friday Fabric Refresh series!

Honey Squares can be made with honey buns or fat quarters.  Normally, I would have used honey buns for my sample quilt.  That was my original plan, until I impulsively bought a bundle of the Then Came June Basics from Robert Kaufman.  I decided to follow the alternate instructions using that bundle, which is the quilt you see above.  

I do still plan to make the honey bun version.  I have honey buns of Early Bird by Bonnie and Camille and I have already started piecing the blocks.  In the meantime, below is the digital image of that version.  I am using the navy dot print from the collection for my accent.  

I am still obsessed with Fig Tree's All Hallows' Eve collection, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon, especially with Halloween and fall right around the corner!  There are a lot of cream prints in that collection, so if I were to make this version, I would use fat quarters.  Six orange fat quarters would allow you to alternate between orange and gray/black blocks as shown below.

Before we get too ahead of ourselves, we are still in the thick of summer and Me and My Sister's newest collection, Summer Porch is finally showing up in shops.  This is another collection that would probably work best with fat quarters.  

Maybe you want to work ahead and get a head start on Christmas quilts.  Corey Yoder's Holliberry precuts just began arriving in shops and this would be a good honey bun option.  The first version below uses the charcoal star print for the accent.  The second version uses 3 different charcoal and gray prints for scrappy accents.  If you want to do this, use three half yards instead of the 6 fat quarters listed in the pattern.


An upcoming collection that I am looking forward to is Balboa by Sherri and Chelsi.  This fabric will not be available until September, but it never hurts to plan ahead!  I used fat quarters again for this because this collection has a lot of cream prints.  I couldn't decide if I liked the charcoal or gray accents better.  


That's all for today!  What other fabrics would you like to see this pattern refreshed in?  Let me know in the comments and I'll try to make it happen!

 

Until next time,

Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment